Saturday, October 16, 2010

Proud to be a curly girl

A woman with stick straight, or even mild wavy hair could never understand the things women with curly hair have to endure. Humidity, poorly trained stylists and shampoos containing sulfates are just a few of our natural enemies. Women with straight hair don't have to worry about waking up in the morning looking like Don King.

I had tried wearing my hair curly before but the stylists just weren't able to cut my fine locks in such a way that the curl ever materialized and looked good. Finally, after some urging, I decided to try my mother's stylist. It was at that point that my attitude about my hair changed. With one cut, she was able to coax the natural curl out of my hair and into something I felt like I could live with.

Less than one year later, both my hair and my love for my hair have grown. I rarely wear my hair up or straighten it anymore. Instead, I wear it curly every day. Some days, it falls into nice compact ringlets, other days it is more wavy...and then there are the days when it is full on Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman", but I don't care because I love my hair.

I ran into my mother in a store a few days ago, on a rare day when I had straightened it, and my own mother didn't even recognize me. I think that must be a sign that I am supposed to wear my hair curly.

No comments:

Post a Comment