Monday, November 25, 2013

There was a store called Wanamakers, a very famous department store, in Philadelphia. When I was six years old, my first grade class was going to take a field trip to see the Christmas Light Show at Wanamakers that they put on every year. Sadly there was a snowstorm (which in Philly 21 years ago amounted to about 4" of snow but city people can't drive in it) so school was cancelled and the city basically shut down.

I was really upset to miss the light show and I cried so my father, being the man that he is, said "If my baby wants to see the light show, we're going to see the light show!" So we all bundled up and climbed into our brown station wagon, drove to the train station and took the train into Philly (we lived in the suburbs). I don't remember specifics of that day, I just remember my brother and I laying on the floor watching the light show and being so happy.

I remember that story every once in a while and sometimes something will bring it back, like seeing this article:
http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/holiday-light-show-at-macys-center-city/

Wanamakers is no longer but it is still the same light show that it was decades ago. It just brings back such nice memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment