Thursday, January 29, 2009

A rant

I think there is a personal choice everyone has to make in their life. That is whether or not to have kids. Let's talk about this for a few minutes. It's not that I don't like kids, but quite frankly, if I wanted something else to take care of, I would get a dog or another cat. What I usually don't like about kids are their parents.

Perfect example: I was a friend's house for lunch one day and her toddler was sitting in my lap. I was wearing a scarf around my neck and the child took the scarf off of me and walked into the kitchen with it. I was slightly annoyed because though it is not an expensive scarf, I like it, and didn't feel like having it dragged on the floor through pet hair, dirt, stale Cheerios and whatever else you find on the floor of someone's house. Five minutes later, my friend says, "oh yeah, you might want to get your scarf. She likes putting things in the cat's water dish." Now, maybe it's me, but if someone came to my house and my cat dipped their item of clothing in his water dish, is that appropriate? Not really, but he wouldn't do that anyway because he has been raised better than that. Also, please don't laugh when your child spits up on me. You may think it's funny because you are wearing the same stained smelly sweatshirt you've been wearing for the past sleep deprived week but to me, it means I have to go to the dry cleaner's tomorrow.

In addition, if you are willing to give your child a ridiculous name, you should also be willing to endure the harrassment that child will receive on the playground for 12 years of its' life because of the dumb name you gave it. Dumb first names for kids: Kirkpatrick, Barbie, Apple, anything to do with alcoholic beverages like Chardonnay (hello future stripper!), Bertha, Adolf and Eddie. Also included is anything you might make up by putting two names together because you think it sounds nice (trust me, it doesn't), boys names for girls (Charlie, Billie, etc.) or a first name that sounds surprisingly like a last name (Miller, Smith, etc.) Please also don't name your child something that a person might name their dog, rabbit or goldfish (Molly, Sophie, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment