Saturday, July 28, 2012

Woke up at 4:15am and after much tossing and turning, at 5:30am decided to just do something productive, so I went for a jog. Had a much better run today, mostly because I jogged practically an entire mile, only walking once for about 30 seconds to recover. I had two 30 second recovery periods on the way back. I might be a slow jogger, but I am getting faster and just being able to essentially jog 2.2 miles in 38 minutes is something I would not have been able to do six months ago. So I am at about 17 minutes per mile and I still have 7 weeks to train. I was hoping to get down to 12 minutes per mile but that is a pretty high goal to set so instead I will settle for 14.

Also came to the realization that there is a good chance my high heels will hinder my running. Studies have shown (and I have been well aware of this for quite some time) that the wearing of high heels contributes to the shortening of calf muscles. I do get calf pain if I don't stretch enough and even though I stretched for 15 minutes this morning before going out, my calves were still ridiculously sore after my run and pretty much always are. I am thinking I might go buy a couple pairs of adorable flats to wear, at least until after the 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment