Saturday, October 5, 2013

I had an epiphany yesterday while I was cleaning the kitchen. The men that I keep meeting that I think are right for me are actually showing me what I don't want in a man. For example with the ex, he showed me that I need integrity in a man because he lacked it in a huge way. 

Then I thought the new guy was a great match. We had tons in common: we were both runners, we both loved the ocean and swimming, enjoyed reading, we both liked to be active AND we were both Christians, which is huge for me. So I was pretty disappointed when he pulled a disappearing act on me after only one date and a few phones calls and a lot of texts. But the more I thought about it, I realized that it wouldn't have worked out with us all because of one thing he said during our last phone conversation. He was working on a farm and he was telling me about a lot of the cats have distemper and he saw one kitten that didn't look too good and a couple of hours later when he saw it again it had died. My first thought was, Why didn't you bring it to the vet to have it at least put down humanely? My second thought was, I could never be with someone that didn't realize how important my boys were to me and I think he would have thought the boys were pampered and I would have thought he was heartless. 

On the subject of men, today at the gym I ran into a guy I have not seen in YEARS. We went to high school together and the last I knew he had gotten married and moved down South. Well he is no longer married (and childless) and moved back to the area a while ago. He actually came up to me and asked if I was who he thought I was and we wound up talking for about 20 minutes. Anyway, we had a great chat and fingers crossed he looks me up on the FB. Damn, he got even better looking than the last time I saw him. ALSO, he smelled really good. Of course, I see him when I am at my most unattractive, which is zero makeup, hair in a ponytail, sweat dripping down my red face from doing freaking squats. I'm sure I smelled like a bed of roses too.

Oh well. If it is meant to happen, it will happen. In the meantime I added "integrity" and "loves animals" to Donna's list for my perfect man. She had "doesn't cheat" on there which is huge but integrity encompasses a lot of different things to me. It means having a strong moral compass and doing the right thing. It means not cheating and not omitting the truth and being honest with someone even if it hurts. I guess because I come from a family with a strong moral compass (and a lot of opinions) I have come to expect that from the men I date. Sadly, it is truly lacking in a lot of people's characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment