Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm at work, but have to get this out of my system...

I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. I just sat down to an author chat with the publicist and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. She basically told the author she hadn't read the book and hadn't even skimmed it, and wasn't even really sure what it was about. She was not prepared and made zero effort to really even explain to him what her role was. She said something about sending out galleys and when he asked if the real book cover was included, she said the cover had the author, the title and "all that other stuff" on it. It was absolutely mortifying. My boss and I just sat in horror and watched the train wreck because there was nothing either of us could do to stop it. Kinda makes me wonder how many other author chats have gone that way. Yesterday, my boss confessed to me that she didn't think the publicist was "pulling her own weight". I could have told her that one month after she started. The one they are promoting to my position, I would not have promoted. I think they could have done better finding someone from the outside. More on that later. I have so much work to do, I will probably be working late tonight, which means I won't get to go see my uncle and his wife : (

No comments:

Post a Comment