Sunday, August 22, 2010

Childhood memory

As a child, I had a little Fisher Price radio that came with tapes of books being read, an early kind of audio book. The idea was you listened to the tape and followed along in the book. Each time you heard a chicken cluck (bock bock) it was the sign to turn the page. I was reading at the age of 4, so I knew when to turn the page, but I liked the chicken.

I had a few different audio tapes, but my favorite was "Green Eggs and Ham". Well, at some point, my Dr. Seuss tape got destroyed (my brother probably mangled it or something) so I decided to make my own tape reading the book...complete with the clucking. What can I say, I was a very creative child.

As I got too old for Dr. Seuss, I wanted to play music on my radio. Unfortunately, I didn't have any cassette tapes beyond myself reading and clucking, so I had to borrow some from my father. This is how, at the age of 7, I was walking around the house, blasting "The Kids Are Back" by Twisted Sister, on my little brown Fisher Price radio. Soon after, Dee Snyder and company were confiscated and I got a lame ass Kids Incorporated cassette as a consolation gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment