Monday, April 15, 2013

I am so disgusted by whoever planted bombs at the Boston Marathon. It made me realize nothing is sacred, nowhere is safe. I wouldn't even think something like that would happen. You show up to run, with your family and friends cheering you on and then two bombs go off, killing and injuring people. It makes me heartsick. Between that, our pastor retiring and one of our family friends close to death, I am just exhausted from life.

I think the reason I like running is for the same reason I like reading. I get lost in my own little world and can forget about the problems in the real world, at least for a little while. When I am running, I focus on my breathing, my foot strikes, my turnover. I don't think about a mistake I made at work and if the guy that works downstairs has as big a crush on me as I do on him (I think he might, oh by the way). It is the same with a really good book where I can get lost in this fictional world and forget about what is going on in the news.

I ran 3.54 miles today, the furthest I think I have ever run. It felt great even though my shins and calves were on fire for the last mile and a half. I am going to run 3.5 miles again this weekend and try to bump it up to 4 miles next week. My goal is to be at 5 miles by the first week in May. It took me 45.38 to run it, so a little longer per mile than I would have liked but at least I am getting faster. Plus, I used to be at over 15 minutes a mile so I have definitely shaved at least a solid 2 minutes off my mile.

I am going to get in the shower and give my poor calves a nice massage. I hope giving them a three day break helps. I was stupid last weekend running and hiking three days a row and I am still paying for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment