Listening to LimeWire and weatherstripping the windows. Weatherstripping isn't nearly as exciting or fun as it sounds like it should be. After all, it does have "stripping" in the name. The skylight in the bathroom was a pain too, since the step stool I have isn't very tall. I had to precariously balance one foot on the step stool, one foot on the bathroom counter and use a ruler to seal the weatherstrip. I guess doing daredevil stunts when working on the house runs in the family. Thankfully, I didn't fall and break my heel though.
Unfortunately, I way underestimated the amount of material I would need and could only do one and a half skylights. I wanted to see how this brand would work before I invested more money, so I have to go back to the hardware store tomorrow. I still have three bedroom windows and four living room windows to do. Plus, while I'm there, I can price hot water heater jackets. I'm trying to make my home more energy efficient for two reasons. Number one, it helps save the environment. Number two, it helps save me money.
Things I have done for energy/money conservation:
-Turned down the temperature on my hot water heater
-Been trying to keep the thermostat at two degrees lower than I usually do
-Only keep the light on in the room I'm in
-Unplug the TV, computer, DVD player and the stereo when I'm not using them
-Shut off water when washing hands, brushing teeth, etc.
-Only use cold water for washing my clothes
Next, I need to replace my light bulbs with CFL lights. The initial investment is expensive, but it will be reach be worth it.
I am interested to see if my electric bill comes in any lower next month. Since my oven, heater and hot water are all on propane (and I'm pretty sure my dryer is too), it might not show too much of a difference in the electric bill. However, I'm sure it will show in the amount of propane I purchase.
Well, it's late. Time to do my nighttime yoga and then bed. B is already practically passed out after a hard day of napping and playing with toy mice.
No comments:
Post a Comment