Friday, October 16, 2009

A reservation is not a lie

I can't believe I turned down an invitation to go out tonight. I really am getting old. I would rather spend a nice, quiet Friday night cooking dinner and watching a movie than going out, drinking kamikazes and spending time with my friends. The plan for the rest of the night is to put clean sheets on the bed, write up a list of things to do tomorrow (Farmer's Market, Book Sale), maybe a list of chores to get done, take a nice, hot shower and go to bed. Maybe squeeze in an episode of (I'm so ashamed to admit I watch this) True Blood in there somewhere. I am going to maim my coworker. She lent me the show on DVD, I watched three episodes and now I'm hooked. It's about vampires, for crying out loud! I never watch stuff like this, and now, I need to see Season 2 when I'm done with the first season.

Here's an odd question: Why does it cost more for me to take my trash TO the dump than have it picked up? It would cost me $15 a month to bring my rubbish to be disposed of. If they pick it up at the bottom of my hill, it's only $12 a month. It seems awfully silly that they would charge less for pickup. I'm certainly not complaining though. This means I don't have to lug all my trash and recyclables to the dump every Saturday. Instead, I just leave it in a barrel (apparently there are bears around, which I was unaware of) at the end of the road and they come along and pick it up.

One of my Facebook friends had a short story of hers published online. Do you tell someone Great job, even if it was a horrendous story, had spelling and grammatical mistakes, and you couldn't read past the second page? Maybe this is one of those times that calls for a "reservation". You don't say what you really want to say, but you don't lie either. You just say something like "That's interesting" and this way, you don't feel guilty and no one's feelings get hurt. Reservations are so handy. They are one of my most favorite non tangible items in the whole wide world.

No comments:

Post a Comment