Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Design of a Decade

Can I brag for just a moment about the light cream sauce I made for dinner? It turned out perfectly, so it was worth getting the carpal tunnel with all the stirring I had to do. Once the sauce was cooked, I added fresh basil from my garden. Plus, I baked up some squash, zucchini and onion and I tossed it all together with whole wheat penne. Oh.My.God. I only wish I had someone here to enjoy it with me, I was that impressed with my cooking (and that doesn't happen often). On the downside, if someone were here, they would have had to sit through my rendition of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" as I was stirring, so perhaps it's best that I live alone.

Now that I have tidied up the kitchen and finished the dishes, I'm listening to a little Janet and trying to find my favorite pie crust recipe. I'm sure I could remember the ratios but I like to have it in front of me, just in case.

Eww! I just found a recipe that utilizes LARD! Whenever I think of lard, I think of Laura Ingalls Wilder in Little House on the Prarie. She was always so descriptive in her books about her pa killing pigs and her ma cooking with their lard. Nowadays, do people still eat lard? Where would you even buy it? Can you buy it? Or every time you want to make a pie, do you have to go catch and kill a pig for the lard?

1 comment: